This historical courthouse, built in 1872 for $155,000 and still in use today, features its original stone, brick and walnut detail. One of the most notable historic structures in the county today may be the McDonough County Courthouse, having been rebuilt three times, each time in the same location. The first courthouse was made of logs, built in 1831; the second was brick, built in 1835; and finally in 1868, the courthouse that stands today was designed by Elijah E. Meyers of Springfield and erected. The courthouse is now on the National Register of Historic Places. The Second Empire Revival architecture structure is built with limestone and red brick. The courthouse today is still a central show piece within the county and wears the 1890s installed gabled roof which replaced the original Mansard roof.